All About Spelling Level 1: Review


All About Spelling
My Half Way Through the Program Review

Review of the All About Spelling Level 1



My Background

I have taught reading, writing, math, organization, and social/emotional/behavioral in a special education classroom for 4 years. For the 2017-2018 school year I decided to work part time and home school my 7 year old son who has autism.  Which sent me into the world of home school curriculum. 


How we Found All About Spelling

My son has grown in the area of reading with the All About Reading program so I was excited to see that they also had a spelling program. The website recommended starting the spelling program once Level 1 of The All About Reading program was completed. I decided to start the spelling program when my son was about 75% of the way through the reading program. The timing was perfect, I think he could have even began it sooner. He has had previous spelling instruction so it was an easy transition for him.


What I Purchased

·         Basic Reading Interactive Kit
·         Basic File Card Box


My All About Spelling Experience

It is laid out with a similar multisensory approach as the All About Reading program which was perfect for my son. See my article on Why Multisensory Works.

This curriculum has 24 lessons. Each takes us about 20 minutes to do unless we choose to break a lesson into two 15 minute lessons.We are currently on lesson 12.

The curriculum starts by having students practice the sounds of the letters using the same Phonogram app that is used in All About Reading. It also has a mastery sheet that can be colored in to mark which  ones your student knows.

Phonograph mastery chart.


The program has students’ segment words by their sounds with no visual of the spelling of the word  but has students use tokens that they pull down.

Example of the tokens used to segment words.

The program lays out a “list” of words for each lesson. "List" is taken very lightly,! It isn’t like a traditional spelling list, these are just lists of words to practice. Lists focus on a certain pattern that is being taught, like the short e pattern. A different pattern and list of words are given in each lesson.The curriculum asks students to first build given words with the magnetic tiles and then the words are dictated so they can practice writing them on paper.

Sample of my sons diction list from lesson 10 where he worked on the short e pattern. 


In Lesson 11 students begin to write dictated phrases.


The curriculum comes with flash cards and card files that need to be stored in a index card box. The files organize phonogram cards, sound cards, key cards and word card.

File box with divers and flash cards. 

Flash cards are used throughout the lessons. The files helps you keep  track of cards that need to be reviewed, ones that are mastered and cards that will be used in the future. 

At the end of each lesson students get to place a sticker on the progress chart. This is a great visual and an incentive for my son at the end of each lesson. 


The Curriculum even included a certificate of achievement I get to fill out when he finishes level 1.





Would I Recommend?

Yes!

This program offers the teacher/parent easy step by step directions on how to teach spelling. The programs teaches student a strong foundation  in phonics that can carry them through spelling. I have seen my son use the strategies from this program to spell words in his own writing. This program has been extremely effective especially because we are using it in conjunction with the All About Reading Program. This program ends up expanding on the phonics that was already taught in the All About Reading level 1. 


Check out my video review of the All About Reading Level 1
The website has samples of pages as well as videos about  the teachers manual and student packet. 

My video review of All About Spelling 1 




Comments

  1. Thank you! I'm trying to figure out if this is right for my daughter, and this review helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review of the All About Reading Level 1

Test Day